Friday, December 06, 2019

Orange Pomander Cookies

I recently posted on my Instagram account about the Trader Joe’s Orange Pomander Cake. It is so, so good! I can't get enough of it.
But tonight I really wanted to make some of the World's Best Gingersnaps. I got an amazing recipe years ago from a lady who posted recipes in an email newsletter before there were blogs, and they are scrumptious. I immediately realized that I had a problem. No molasses. You can't have a really good gingersnap without molasses.

I continued to leaf through a binder where I have collected recipes over the last decade or more, and happened to find one I'd copied from a catering mystery book by Diane Mott Davidson called Honey Gingersnaps. They had promise, but they weren't quite what I was hoping for.  All was not lost though. The honey gingersnaps sparked an idea to try change the recipe into orange pomander cookies.  So here you go, and yes they do taste like a crispy version of the cake.

 Orange Pomander Cookies
Yield 3 Dozen

1/2 cup honey
1 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 egg
zest of one orange
2 cups flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp. ground cloves

Preheat oven to 375F degrees
  1. Cream first 5 ingredients.
  2. Sift together remaining dry ingredients and mix with wet ingredients until fully incorporated.
  3. Chill for one hour.
  4. Using a small baking scoop or tablespoon, place a drop of dough into a small plate with granulated sugar and roll dough in sugar.
  5. Place on baking sheet covered with parchment (if desired.)
  6. Bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown and crispy.
  7. Cool on a baking rack to retain crispy texture.
To truly taste like the bread, you can make a vanilla frosting with a 1/4 tsp of cloves and ice the cookies. Yum!