Saturday, December 14, 2019

Grandma's Crazy Cake


This one is an OLD family favorite.
My grandmother was a "cafeteria lady" back when the cafeteria ladies used to actually cook every day. She was in charge of the kitchen at my elementary school and man could she ever cook! She and the ladies often found excellent recipes and then they more than doubled or quadrupled them....they....thirtied or fortied....no.....they.....altered them to feed 300 people.

My mom came across one of Gram's old folders several years ago and in it there are quite a few of those recipes in her hand writing. I'll share them with you sometime, but the one recipe we had been looking for for years wasn't there. No one, it seemed, had Grandma's crazy cake recipe. I asked aunts, uncles and cousins, but to no avail. I called her old coworkers once when I was back home visiting mom, but still, no luck. One day, Mom ran into one of the ladies I had missed calling, and she told mom she had the original cake recipe from the Parade magazine they'd cut it out of. She generously passed it on, yellowed and creased and oh so fragile. I found it interesting that it was so yellowed it is gold, and getting this recipe is like striking gold to me.
This cake is so moist and delicious, I know are just going to love it! Be sure and just use a simple white frosting, as that's all it needs. Although, if you ask my dad, he'll tell you it's best right out of the pan with no frosting at all!

Grandma's Long Lost Crazy Cake Recipe
(or "Real Crazy" Cake by Beth Merriman, Parade Food Editor)

1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons breakfast cocoa (although I recommend Special Dark Hersey Baking Cocoa)
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
5 tablespoons salad oil
1 cup water

Sift first five ingredients into a greased 8" square cake pan. Make three depressions in dry ingredients. Pour vinegar into one, vanilla into another, salad oil into the third. Pour water over all. Mix well, until smooth. Bake in moderate over (350 degrees F) 35 minutes. When cool, frost or serve with ice cream and chocolate sauce. Makes nine servings. (Or three if you're my dad!)