Saturday, December 14, 2019

Grandma's Cowboy Candy

 Cowboy Candy is a yummy, slightly butterscotchy, caramelly  coconut candy.  I have also heard them called coconut haystacks but there are several variations of haystacks and these have no nuts or chocolate.

I always really liked this one growing up but I'm a big fan of butterscotch and coconut so it's a given I'd like this one.

Grandma's Cowboy Candy

4 cups of granulated sugar
4 cups of coconut
1 can of evaporated milk
1 1/3 cups Light Karo Syrup
Put all ingredients into a heavy pot and cook over medium heat. Stir constantly bringing to a soft ball stage on a candy thermometer or using the cold water method. Let cool, then beat and beat and beat until it is no longer glossy and it is thick. Then drop by spoonfuls onto waxed or parchment paper. If you beat it too long and don't have time to scoop, then spread it out like fudge and cut it when cool.
 It turns a really pretty toffee color when it begins to get to the soft ball stage.
 Let it cool.
 I beat my candy in my Kitchen Aid bowls with the paddle. 
 I broke my thermometer and had a tough time getting the water method right, so my cowboy candy got thick super fast and I had to spread it and cut it instead of drop it. It still tastes great though!
Yum! Look and that butterscotchy coconutty goodness!